Monday 9 April 2012

You jump, I jump Personal Post 4



So, last night I went to the movie theatre to see Titanic with my boyfriend. I've seen the movie a few years ago but didn't remember the whole thing. I used to cry a lot at movies but this year I guess i ran out of tears because most movies don't get to me anymore, and I figured Titanic would be the same. The movie started rolling and I was so into it and instantly remembered what I was missing.  I fell in love with Leonardo Dicaprio and thought his acting was outstanding for his performance as Jack Dawson, a 3rd class Titanic passenger, who falls in love with Rose DeWitt Bukater (Kate Winslet), a 1st class passenger who is engaged to a wealthy man by the name of Cal. Jack saves Rose from her attempted suicide and after a short time of direct bonding, the two fall in love. Cal's a selfish man and can't stand the thought of coming out as the under dog. Happily sneaking around together, Jack and Rose's connection faces an obstacle when the boat hits an iceberg and the boat starts to fill with water and sink. Only enough smaller boats to save but half the passengers aboard, Rose refuses to leave Jack and board one since the boats are to be filled with children and woman only primarily. When it showed the boat going down I started to immidiately cry more than I have in a while, because it was such a touching story and not only was it sad, it was non fictional. I think the movie captured the possible and likely reactions of those who actually took place at the unfortunate event of the sinking of the Titanic. I wondered what it'd be like to be pushed away from safety if I wasn't considered wealthy enough to be saved. I went to the Titanic exhibit a few months ago and I found it very interesting. They had all types of objects found in the ocean belonging to the Titanic and even showed what kind of rooms different kinds of passengers slept in. I can't believe how many people died due to selfishness and how many deaths could have been prevented. It makes me so frustrated that people would rather watch others die in exchange for their own personal comfort. My feelings on the Titanic was that it was tragic and awful and many more people should have survived.

2 comments:

  1. I saw Titanic once when I was about nine, and am too petrified to watch it again. Scarred for life! But you made it sound so great, maybe I'll reconsider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give you credit for going to see it at the movies Jess because I know I am not able to do that when it comes to The Titanic! That movie just gets me way too emotional and it's one of those movies that I have to watch in the comfort of my own home so that I can cry like a baby without being stared at weirdly by strangers. I also went to the Titanic exhibit when it was here and I had the exact same thoughts about it! I also couldn't believe how selfish some people were when it came to the life boats because sooo many more people could have survived the tragedy.

    ReplyDelete