Monday 12 March 2012

KONY 2012

A couple days ago I saw a whole bunch of updates on something called "Kony 2012". I really had no idea what it was about, but by the look of the statuses it looked like it was going to be a huge topic in conversation for the next little while. I was extremely curious what this was about, so like everyone else who has an unanswered question, I relied on Google to explain it to me. It lead me to a Youtube video, which at the time had roughly 8.5 million views. When a Youtube video has that many views, it pretty much means it's worth watching. I couldn't help but notice it was nearly a half hour long, but I gave it a shot anyway. It began with a guy talking about humanity and what humans need emotionally to survive. Then it he started talking about Ugandan children and the struggles they face on a daily basis. One boy in particular, Jacob, explains how a man by the name of Joseph Kony has overpowered Ugandan civilians, children to be precise, turning the girls into sex slaves and the boys into child soldiers. It automatically made me, and I'm sure many others that come from a much safer country, feel so appreciative of the luxuries we possess that we take for granted everyday. After a third of the video was over, i couldn't help but cry. I couldn't help but feel so touched by the inspirational stories of the unfortunate lives of these children. Joseph Kony has been the mastermind behind the abduction of thousands of children for many years, which made me feel furious. Supposedly he doesn't even have a reason, he is only doing this to remain powerful. Why? I can not imagine how anyone could be so heartless and do such destruction to a country and not even attempt to provide an excuse. I am appalled. After watching the video I was determined to do my part. I believe that people all over the world should assist each other in time of need, and that every person in the world deserves a fair chance. Joseph Kony has destroyed the hope of so many children, and the point of the Youtube video was to make his name known, to inform the people of a higher power to help find and arrest Kony. When an issue has made civilians from everywhere outraged, the resolution of the issue becomes a priority. This is why on April 20th, posters, stickers, signs, and any other form of advertisement advertising Kony will be posted everywhere, not only in Canada, but everywhere! I suggest you take a look at the video if you have not already, and decide if helping save strangers is in your interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment