Monday 28 May 2012

Reading Reflection 5

Book : The Help

This book continues to get better as I keep going! So far i've read about all the characters but now i'm getting in to the part where Ms. Hilly is trying to get Ms. Skeeter to post an article about a sanitation system  (i.e - Get "the help"their proper bathrooms) for "safety purposes. According to Hilly, black people carry diseases is their urine that white people don't have the immune systems to battle. Ugh! I felt mad when I read that. I know it's just a book but I know stupid things like that were presented when the world was full of racism. I just hate Ms. Hilly. Anyways, Skeeter got a job to work for the local paper on giving advice for  a housekeeping column.  She took this job because in order to get anywhere a publisher from New York, Elaine Stein, told Skeeter she had to have experience. Well, Ms. Skeeter doesn't know a whole lot about cleaning and cooking! So she asked Elizabeth if she could go to Aibileen for help. Elizabeth wasn't exactly keen on this but let her anyways. Ms. Skeeter's personality is so kind and different. It makes me glad that back in the day there were some white people who realized skin colour means nothing. I'm grateful that Ms. Skeeter isn't afraid of Ms. Hilly too. Skeeter's interested in writing a book about the perspective from the help. She wants the world to see what it's like to be them. She's trying to get an interview with Aibileen, but Aibileen is hesitant. I don't feel like if I lived in those days that I would be racist, but I guess I couldn't say that, seeing as kids grew up doing what they were told. Which was that white people were smarter, cleaner, healthier and just better than black people. I don't even comprehend this. If you encounter a homeless black person what's the difference than encountering a homeless white person? There is none! And for Ms. Hilly to say black people carry diseases that white people can't fight? No... that's not how it works. This book really gets me thinking about how it would have been growing up in a society full of discrimination.

No comments:

Post a Comment